Rooted in Ranch History
& a Passion for Real Food
Driven by Passion for Good, Clean, and Fair Food
Jacqueline Chalmers' passion for good, clean, and fair food prompted her to follow her pungent, tasty dreams of producing fresh, locally grown garlic for Southern Albertans.
Jackie and family came to the New Oxley Ranche in 2006 from the Millarville area, where the family had ranched for nearly a century. Once settled, Jackie felt the urge to start growing a product she could sell within the region.
Her first commercial garlic crop was harvested in 2010. After great success in her first few years, Jackie has expanded production on her garlic farm, and increased distribution from Calgary to Lethbridge and everywhere in between.
Jackie is also the driving force behind the Southern Alberta Slow Food Convivium.
The Beginnings of the New Oxley Ranche
The Oxley Ranche located at the "leavings" formally came into being on March 25th, 1882 at a boardroom table in England. In 1886 it was re-organized and the New Oxley Ranche was formed, head-quartered in its current location six miles west of Claresholm on Willow Creek. At one time the ranche was comprised of 200,000 acres with over 3000 cattle grazing on the sunny Porcupine Hills.
Rooted in Alberta Ranching History
New Oxley Post Office - Mildred, Margery and Hildyard - 1906
New Oxley House - circa 1891
A Tasty New Era for the New Oxley Ranche
Jacqueline Chalmers planting garlic for the following year's crop.